Your friends had braces in high school – but you didn’t. Now that you’re in college, is it too late to straighten your teeth? If you’re ready to address your orthodontic issues, take a look at what you need to know about Invisalign as a college student.
Why Choose Invisalign in College?
Whether you’re a freshman or a soon-to-graduate senior, you want to put your best foot (and face) forward. Invisalign can help you to do this, now and in the future. The benefits of this orthodontic option for college students include:
- Invisible braces. You won’t have to worry about clunky metal brackets and noticeable wires when you go on internship interviews or to
- Improved appearance. Invisalign liners will gradually move your teeth into place and improve the overall look of your smile.
- Increased confidence. Are you embarrassed to smile? It’s common to feel anxiety or embarrassment over a crooked or misaligned smile.
Your new look (after Invisalign) can boost your confidence and give you the self-esteem necessary to take the next step as an adult.
While a straight smile is a top priority, you may still have concerns about braces. Read on for more information on Invisalign, comfort, and college life.
Are Invisalign Aligners Comfortable?
Invisalign aligners move your teeth gradually over time. This requires you to use a series of clear plastic aligners. While the liners will put some pressure on your teeth, they won’t hurt or cause serious discomfort. Most college students can wear their aligners during class-time, study-time, or social events without a painful problem.
Are Invisalign Aligners Convenient?
Traditional braces are permanent devices that only an orthodontist can remove. But Invisalign uses removable aligners. You’ll need to wear the aligner trays for at least 22 hours a day to achieve maximum effectiveness, according to the American Association of Orthodontists. Even though this may seem like a lot, the trays give you many convenient wear options.
How are aligners more convenient than traditional braces? With Invisalign you can:
- Remove the aligners for meals. No one wants to have food stuck in metal brackets. With Invisalign you take the aligners out when you eat and replace them afterwards. This makes meals out with friends or a potential new partner less stressful.
- Remove the aligners for physical activity. Whether you’re on a college sports team, you play intramurals, or you just enjoy outdoor activity, you can take your aligners out as needed when you get physical.
- Remove the aligners to care for your teeth. Traditional braces can make brushing and flossing a challenge. But with Invisalign you can remove the aligners to completely clean your entire mouth.
Along with the ability to remove the aligners when you eat, play, or care for your teeth, you can also take them out temporarily. If you have a speech to give, a first date, or a special event, simply remove the tray for the activity. But don’t forget to replace it as soon as you’re done.
Are Invisalign Aligners Easy to Care For?
Even though Invisalign aligners are convenient, you still need to care for them. Without mom or dad standing over you, this means you’re in control of your oral health.
To care for your aligners, remove the trays before you brush. Rinse the tray under warm water and clean the plastic with a soft toothbrush. Regularly inspect the trays for damage, debris, or buildup. Clear additional buildup (if the first pass through with the brush didn’t do the trick) with a second gentle scrub.
Are you ready to straighten your smile? Do you want to explore the benefits of Invisalign? Contact Beck Pearce Dental for more information.